Make Admins be admin users

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 19 21:01:48 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 00:17, Ken Cross wrote:
> Related to the "Allow chown of directories" patch, I added a hack where
> members of Admins, Domain Admins, or Enterprise Admins automatically
> become admin users.  (This really saved a lot of headaches for admins.)
>
> Note that this sets conn->admin_user, but does *not* set uid to 0 or
> force_user -- those caused subtle problems.
>
> This applies to SAMBA_3_0.

This means that administrators in a 'trusted' domain (which means you
trust the domain to authenticate it's own users, not to administer your
server) has root on your box.

I suggest you use:

'admin users = @MYDOM\Domain Admins'

In you smb.conf instead.

We are going to get rid of 'sid_peek_rid' soon, as it allows this kind
of thing too easily - you simply don't know which domain...

(The sid_peek_check_rid() version makes sure you have to specify it up
front).

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net