interesting fact about StrCaseCmp

Ludolf Holzheid lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
Tue Feb 18 21:49:28 GMT 2003

In the embedded/real time world, malloc() and friends are strongly
deprecated as you can't predict how long they will take. They have to
go through a linked list of unknown length and may even start a
garbage collection.

If StrCaseCmp() is really that sensitive w.r.t. processor cycles, you
better keep the malloc()ed buffers between the calls and increase
their size (by calling free() and malloc(), not realloc()) if the
strings to be compared do not fit.

(well, if the string lengths are really not limited, this may turn
out as a memory leak...)

Ludolf

On 18 Feb 2003 at 8:04, jra at dp.samba.org wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 06:23:41PM +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
>
> > One little malloc() could hardly make it any worse, although I will do
> > a test tomorrow to check.
>
> "One little malloc()" - I'll remind you of that quote later :-).
>
> But please do the test, that's the only way we can really
> be sure if it's a speedup or not.
>
> Jeremy.

Ludolf Holzheid             Tel:    +49 621 339960
Bihl+Wiedemann GmbH         Fax:    +49 621 3392239
Flosswoerthstrasse 41       e-mail: lholzheid at bihl-wiedemann.de
D-68199 Mannheim, Germany