[Samba] RE: Samba processes

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Feb 18 19:48:34 GMT 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Javid Abdul-AJAVID1 wrote:

Abdul,

We saw your first posting. Please be patient.

Both smbd and nmbd run as root. All user interaction with the file system
is done as the user who initiated the process. Please refer to the source
code to see what happens. Samba has to ba able to perform a number of
tasks that can be done only as root.

Yep.

> Just curios under what circumstances the smbd runs as user id process ( unix
> id ) and running as root is a security risk?

Please explain where the security risks are. We would appreciate your
patches.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra