Winbindd limited by select

Mike Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Feb 15 16:32:57 GMT 2003

Ken Cross wrote:
> My $0.02...
>

> Mike Sweet wrote:
>
>>Sooo, my recommendations are as follows:
>>
>>    1. Provide a configure option (--with-maxfiles or similar)
>>       to configure the upper limit you want to support in SAMBA.
>>    2. Provide a smb.conf option to control the max number of
>>       file descriptors.
>

> There's currently a "max smbd processes" in 3.0.  Would that suffice for
> max number of fd's for winbindd?

It might; I'm not sure how winbindd and smbd are tied together
(I don't use it myself...)

>>    3. Provide a definition on Solaris for FD_SETSIZE before
>>       including <sys/select.h> so that the correct version of
>>       select() is used.
>

> It's not just Solaris - I think it's fairly universal.  And it must be
> defined before <sys/types.h>

It doesn't work on Linux or OSX, and of the systems in our (ESP's)
build farm (AIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, IRIX, Linux, OSX, Solaris, and
Tru64) only Solaris uses a different select() function when dealing
with more than 1024 fd's.

In this case, we are only setting FD_SETSIZE to get the right version
of select, not to increase the size of fd_set.  We could just #ifdef
__sun and define select to select_large_fdset, however that is only
appropriate for newer versions of Solaris (starting with 7 IIRC).

>>    4. On startup, query the current FD limit and set it to the
>>       smaller of the "maxfiles" definition, the max value
>>       reported by the kernel, and the max value in smb.conf.
>

> And call setrlimit with this value.

Right.

>>    5. Allocate the fd_set buffers [(maxfiles + 7) / 8 bytes]
>>       and replace all use of FD_ZERO with memset/bzero with
>>       the correct size.
>

> It currently (and correctly, IMO) computes the largest *actual* fd and
> uses that.

If you have that info, great.  In CUPS, we just memcpy() a common
input/output set to temporary ones (makes tracking FDs simpler...)

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com