Pushing Samba functions into the kernel

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Feb 13 20:40:14 GMT 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:41:35AM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:
:
>    The return from the syscall would be a complete SMB, possibly with the
>    NetBIOS header in a separate buffer, and maybe more.

The entire NBT layer could be placed into the kernel.  I would see,
perhaps, LMB, DMB, and NBNS functionality in a daemon but the essential
parts of the NBT layer are trivial (in comparison with the rest of SMB)
and could definitely be isolated out.  This would not impact SMB since,
once the NBT Session is established, the NBT SMB packets are identical to
naked TCP tranport-ed SMB packets.  They can just be passed through to
whatever piece handles SMB (even directly to the existing smbd, thus
allowing kernelization in stages).

The only issue is in any interprocess communication that Samba currently
does between smbd and nmbd.  I think that's isolated to LMB and DMB
activity, but may be wrong there.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org