[Samba] Adding Printer driver with cupsaddsmb

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Feb 13 18:21:13 GMT 2003

Nicki Messerschmidt wrote on Samba-Digest:

> Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:22:01 +0100
> From: "Nicki Messerschmidt, Linksystem Muenchen GmbH" <samba at alienn.net>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>, <samba-technical at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: [Samba] Adding Printer driver with cupsaddsmb
> Message: 13
>

> Hi lists,

Hi, Nicki,

> I still have a problem adding a driver to samba 2.2.7a-0.1 with
> cupsaddsmb.

You tell the version of Samba -- yet you don't tell the version of the
other important component: CUPS. Which is it?

> Everything works fine except the addprinter call, which
> terminates with NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFULL.

The "adddprinter" call used to be there in older versions of cupsaddsmb.
Recent version use the "setdriver" command instead. My advice is
to upgrade CUPS and then try again.

> This is because of a
> WERR_ACCESS_DENIED message, which I don't understand.

Here are two more tips about useful troubleshooting techniques:

1-- Try to use this command in an xterm window on the Samba host (as root):

          "watch --interval=1 smbstatus"

     "watch" will update the output of the "smbstatus" command every 1
     second(s). "smbstatus" will show, which connections are active, to
     which service, from which machine, and under which username (uid/gid).

     While this runs, make sure there are not too many other connections
     active (best do it in the evening when the users have gone home...).
     (This is just to make sure that what you want to see is not drowned
     in too much other info...)

     Now run cupsaddsmb and watch for the connection(s) being made during
     the process. Are they made as the user you're expecting?

     (Once you have "cupsaddsmb" completed successfully, you may apply
     the same technique to troubleshoot any failing printer driver download
     to the clients, or a failing setting of the default devmode....)

2-- Investigate the smbd log file for errors. If you have a low debug
     level, you will not see a lot. Set the debuglevel to a higher value,
     if you need more. (I'd recommend "3" for a beginning) Don't necessarily
     do it in the smb.conf file. Try to change it on the fly:

         "smbstatus smbd debuglevel"

     will reveal the currently used value.

         "smbstatus smbd debug 3"

     will set it to "3" on the fly.

         "tail -f /path/to/smbd-log-file"

     will show the updates to the log file in realtime, while you try
     to work with cupsaddsmb, driver download from the client (or anything
     else...)

> Perhaps someone
> can shed light onto this. What files do you need, to get an
> understanding of what is going on?
> In my post to the samba user mailinglist 2003-02-11 I attached some
> output of cupsaddsmb.
>

> With hope,
> Nicki Messerschmidt

With confidence,