"background updates of print queues via a dedicated process"

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 12 13:23:32 GMT 2003

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>> It might be good for there to also be a way for the spooler to
>> notify Samba when something has happened, so as to avoid polling.
>
> CUPS might support this.  I dunno.  or it could be added to lpd of
> course.

CUPS 1.2 will support IPP notifications and the ippget notification
scheme, so it will be possible for SAMBA to request notifications
whenever printer or job states change.

For CUPS 1.1.x and other legacy printing systems, polling is the
only method that is available.  I think LPRng has some mechanisms
for asynchronous notifications - you'd have to ask Patrick about
that...