"background updates of print queues via a dedicated process"

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Feb 12 05:05:19 GMT 2003

The Samba 3.0 roadmap mentions this as a wishlist item for 3.x.  I'm
interested in looking at it.

Has anybody else already worked on it?

It seemed like it would involve a separate smbd process repeatedly
parsing the output of lpq and feeding it into a database, rather than
this being done on-demand from a regular smbd child.  I suppose when
some change is noticed it will have to send a message to prod other
smbds.

It might be good for there to also be a way for the spooler to notify
Samba when something has happened, so as to avoid polling.

This seems like it might help print server efficiency with many jobs
or printers.

Am I on the right track?

--
Martin