Samba 3.0: vfs_netatalk.c

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 10 21:14:25 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 07:54, Anthony Liguori wrote:

> scandir() (and it's [alpha|version]sort() brethren) is a BSD/Linux-ism and
> therefore isn't very portable.  Since this is in a VFS module (and
> therefore only optional) I guess this is ok.

No, it's not really.  Given all we really want is opendir()/readdir(),
using scandir() here really isn't excusable.  I had been meaning to fire
off some e-mails on this.

All our VFS modules should build on all platforms, unless there is a
*really good* reason not to.  (Like MySQL not present).

The reason for this, is that code gets copied around, and having 'lower
quality' code that doesn't always compile will mean that people will
follow the bad examples.  Also, compiling code on things like Stratus
VOS, or SCO Unix etc is not just because we like wide support - these
compilers often have some *very* nice warning support.  Due to different
word orders, word sizes etc, or just some nice warning that other
compilers don't have, they *find bugs*.