Ignoring printer errors

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Feb 10 12:35:01 GMT 2003

I'm wondering, why (in HEAD and 3.0)
rpc_server/srv_spoolss_nt.c:_spoolss_enddocprinter_internal() doesn't
handle any errors?

It sort of makes sense if we don't check the output of running the unix
'lpr' command (due to the separate thread of execution), but now we have
back-ends like CUPS, that return real error codes - error codes that
could well be used to give real meaning back to clients.

In particular, if you were to apply an ACL to a printer in CUPS,
currently there is no way for that error (beside the dropped print job)
to be handled properly.  The client just thinks the job spooled
correctly.

It should not be that hard to do a proper mapping from CUPS error codes
to the W_ERR or NT_STATUS equivalent.

Any reason why this hasn't been done, before I find myself knee-deep in
printing?...  (or does anybody want to help me with the mapping?)