Why reset winbindd_cache.tdb?

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Sun Feb 9 22:03:17 GMT 2003

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 03:53:05PM -0500, Ken Cross wrote:

> We have a site with SAMBA_3_0 where it takes 12-15 minutes to initialize
> winbindd's cache (locks/winbindd_cache.tdb) every time winbindd
> restarts.  While this is going on, users can't authenticate.  (~12,000
> users and 9,000 groups using ADS.  Same results with or without -B.)
>
> My question is: do we really need to re-init the winbindd cache every
> time it starts?
>
> It seems like the sequence number is a pretty effective way to manage
> aging the cache.  I hacked it where it doesn't truncate the cache at
> startup and it seems to work very well.

Did you fix this by removing the TDB_CLEAR_IF_FIRST flag from tdb_open_log()
in winbindd_cache.tdb?  This operation should be fairly quick and
definitely shouldn't take 12-15 minutes.

It strictly shouldn't be necessary to do this as you mention above but
it has been useful to delete the cache when changing the format of
entries in the cache between (development) versions of winbindd.

Tim.