Why reset winbindd_cache.tdb?

Ken Cross kcross at nssolutions.com
Sun Feb 9 20:53:05 GMT 2003

Samba-folk:

We have a site with SAMBA_3_0 where it takes 12-15 minutes to initialize
winbindd's cache (locks/winbindd_cache.tdb) every time winbindd
restarts.  While this is going on, users can't authenticate.  (~12,000
users and 9,000 groups using ADS.  Same results with or without -B.)

My question is: do we really need to re-init the winbindd cache every
time it starts?

It seems like the sequence number is a pretty effective way to manage
aging the cache.  I hacked it where it doesn't truncate the cache at
startup and it seems to work very well.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Ken Cross