Annoying Minor Bug In Winbind 2.2.x

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Fri Feb 7 13:39:30 GMT 2003

On  7 Feb 2003, "Boyce, Nick" <nick.boyce at eds.com> wrote:

> Thanks - that was it.  I now have a script /usr/local/bin/winbind, which
> does
>    umask 000
>    /etc/init.d/winbind $1
>    umask 027
> and everything is working ok now - I can stop & restart winbind to my
> heart's content without any problem (well no socket directory permissions
> problems anyway ;-)

You would be better off -- and you would be helping us too -- if you
would apply the patch and let us know if it works.  (I'm pretty sure
it will, but it's always worth testing.)  That way, rather than a
temporary workaround, there will be a proper fix for future releases.

Thanks,

> [ I'm afraid I always run with umask=027 ... it's a hangover from my
> mainframe days ... I can't get away from the idea that you should grant only
> the access that is needed ... "all files world-readable by default ?" ...
> "Just Say No" ]

That's fine, winbindd ought to work with that.

--
Martin