machine names same as usernames -> problems...

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Thu Feb 6 22:47:47 GMT 2003

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 15:39, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > > adil (users) and
> > > adil$ (machine)
> > > cannot work.
> >
> > Why can't it work?  I've seen this discussed a number of times, but
> > never really been told why it doesn't work.  That $ is there for exactly
> > that reason you know - to make them different.

[...]

> > Can you describe the failure please?
> I thought this was well known...
> The machine simply fails to join the domain. With a message about bad
> password or invalid machine account.

Under what circumstances can't/doesn't this work?

Does it not work only in the case that adil and adil$ both exist in the
passwd database of the Samba server?

If that is the case, then the code that allows the machine to log onto the
trust account is probably checking for the 'adil' account and refusing to
let it happen.

Regards
-----