machine names same as usernames -> problems...

Bradley W. Langhorst brad at langhorst.com
Thu Feb 6 21:26:25 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 15:39, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> > adil (users) and
> > adil$ (machine)
> > cannot work.
>
> Why can't it work?  I've seen this discussed a number of times, but
> never really been told why it doesn't work.  That $ is there for exactly
> that reason you know - to make them different.
i don't know  - i probably should have said does not work instead of
cannot work.
I thought maybe the $ was there to identify machine accounts.

> > I think it's not good practice to have machine names and usernames be
> > the same but i also don't think samba should fail cryptically in that
> > situation...
>
> Can you describe the failure please?
I thought this was well known...
The machine simply fails to join the domain. With a message about bad
password or invalid machine account.

brad

--
Bradley W. Langhorst <brad at langhorst.com>