called name not present

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Wed Feb 5 19:11:34 GMT 2003

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 12:52:40PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 11:35:22AM -0700, David Bear wrote:
> > > Are you sure that you are connecting to a Samba server, and not, say, a
> > > Win2K server by some accident?
> >
> > Yes, I thought that was strange as well, yet, here's what nmblookup
> > finds.
> >
> > bash-2.05a$ winsq npcenter
> > querying npcenter on 129.219.13.105
> > 129.219.120.138 npcenter<00>
> > Looking up status of 129.219.120.138
> >         NPCENTER        <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
> >         NPCENTER        <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
> >         NPCENTER        <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
> >         ..__MSBROWSE__. <01> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
> >         NPCGROUP        <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
> >         NPCGROUP        <1b> -         M <ACTIVE>
> >         NPCGROUP        <1d> -         M <ACTIVE>
> >         NPCGROUP        <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
> >
> > is there a way to use smbclient with an ip address to bypass any name
> > resolution differences that may be happening between windows and unix?
>
> Which host is at 129.219.120.138, a W2K system or the Samba server?
> Again, a trace would help.
>
> The -I option can be used to specify a unicast destination.

129.219.120.138 is the bsdbox -- its the samba server.

here's something to add to the plot.

1) my samba server at 129.219.120.183 seems to have a problem
correctly resolving the netbios name npcenter.  It can connect using
the ip address of 129.219.120.138.

2) another samba server in the same subnet correctly resolves the
netbios name npcenter -- finds the right machine and connects.

3) another samba server in a differnet subnet/differnet
building/differnet broadcast region successfully connects to the
npcenter netbios name

4) so it would seem there is a configuration error on my samba machine
at 120.183 -- however, the returned line from smbclient -L
nonymous login successful
Domain=[CUI] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_DUPLICATE_NAME

would indicate a connection was made to a machine in a TOTALLY
different subnet and domain.  the CUI domain is in a very different
building/different subnet.  things are getting curiouser and
curiouser..

--
David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU