REPOST: Meaning of "tdb_free: left read failed at ...?"

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Feb 4 15:37:17 GMT 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:17:34AM +0100, Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 15:44:18 +0100, Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> >> The system in question is a Debian i386 "stable" (3.0) system, kernel is
> >> 2.4.20 release (with some patches such as EVMS and XFS, but EVMS is NOT in
> use
> >> for shares exported via Samba!!), Samba is 2.2.7a (a Debian package that I
> >> created myself.)
> >
> >I would try again with a standard ext2/3 file system.

> Ok, now /var/run/samba is an ext3 filesystem -- and the problem is back again.
> :-(

> So you could argue, "Ok, it's EVMS then which is the culprit," because
> filesystem is on an EVMS logical volume.

> But I simply cannot believe this.

> Why should Samba be the ONLY (apparent) application that doesn't feel happy with
> XFS over EVMS?

I'm running Samba on XFS+EVMS (on Debian ;) with no problems.  Even on
buggy versions of XFS, I've never seen this error; I don't think the
filesystem is the cause.  OTOH, I haven't used 2.4.20 yet for this
environment.

When you say you compiled with large file support, does that mean you
made changes to the build scripts?  Samba should already build with LFS
support on Linux 2.4.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer