A Union of two directories

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 10:03:36 GMT 2003

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Stefan (metze) Metzmacher wrote:

> It would be fine to have config options for match witch files should be
> taken from with
> directory.
>
> something like this:
> dir1 path = /home/samba
> dir1 mode = readonly
> dir1 files = *.c,*.h,configure,Makefile
> dir1 exclude files = *.o
> dir2 path = /home/%m/samba
> dir2 mode = write
> dir2 files = *.o
> dir2 exclude files = *.c,*.h
>
> and something simular for directories

But what about cases where a ".c" file is not readonly source but rather
the result of a write, such as from yacc/bison?  Similarly where Makefile
is written from a source Makefile.in ?  And so on.

Way, way back in the days of SunOS 4.1.x, Sun had their "translucent" file
service: "tfs".  (We never used this; I simply recall its existence.)
Might this model be the sort of thing you are looking for?  I see that the
"man" pages for Sun's tfs are still around (I found a copy on the FreeBSD
WWW site).

See:
   http://www.freebsd.org/
select "SunOS 4.1.3" as the OS, and search for 'tfs'.

Hope that helps.