A Union of two directories

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Feb 3 14:29:35 GMT 2003

Hi All!

I am new to Samba and this group and I have a question...

My company wants to make a "custom" version of Samba which is capable of
creating a "share" which is actually a union of two directories.

ie: instead of the share "\\samba\arthur" being /home/arthur,
we want the share "\\samba\arthur" to be the union of the two directories
/home/common and /home/arthur

Why?  It's all to do with version control and limitations in other software.
The idea is to create a "reserved checkout" in a single directory.  ie: all
the "read only" code is in /home/common and the "checked out" code is in
/home/arthur", but the silly end product software wants all the files in 1
directory (\\samba\arthur).  Oh woe is me!

So my question is: which source code file is the one that actually opens
files in the unix file system ?

Additionally - is anyone else interested in the result ?

Regards,

Arthur Barrett