Accessing Microsoft's CIFS FTP server

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Dec 23 22:34:03 GMT 2003

I'm not sure what the problem is but there have been reports recently
about Microsoft's FTP server being down or broken.  If you're looking for
the old-but-still-interesting CIFS documentation that Microsoft keeps
there, the server problems may be annoying you.

I found that the lynx browser (yes, really) will work.

$ lynx ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/drg/CIFS/

I believe that it has something to do with the way that lynx implements
Active Mode FTP.  I'm not sure about this, but I should point out that the
above won't work from behind a NAT/Firewall (which is consistent with the
Active Mode theory).

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org