memory leak in winbindd/smbd from Samba 3.0.1rc1?

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Wed Dec 17 04:11:51 GMT 2003

Hi there

Historically I have not had much luck running winbindd, but I am forever
the tryer :-)

Anyway, I installed 3.0.1rc1 and got winbindd going, and lo and behold -
it ran A LOT BETTER than it has ever run in our environment - well done!

The lack of transitive trusts is still an issue, but with it running
within our AD domain (let's call it "myDom"), I could login as any
trusted NT4 domain member - or the "myDom" domain.

It has worked like this before - but normally hangs within 1/2 an hour.
This time days later it was still working.

However, then I started having crashes on my workstation. I'd come into
work and find Mozilla wasn't running anymore. Checking out syslog
showed:

kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 26929 (mozilla-bin)
kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 26966 (mozilla-bin).
kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 26967 (mozilla-bin).
Out of Memory: Killed process 13117 (smbd).
Out of Memory: Killed process 20269 (smbd).

..and no, this doesn't normally happen.

For some reason it always happened in the middle of the night, so I
never got to see what was really happening, but when it did happen, once
smbd was killed, the "Out of Memory:" errors stopped occurring until the
next night...

So, I stopped winbindd from running, and now this problem doesn't occur.

I've checked the changes made in 3.0.1 and can't see anything related,
besides upgrading to 3.0.1, what can I do to help pin this down?

Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417