On a quest for the biggest file I can create from Windows against Samba

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Tue Dec 16 19:09:53 GMT 2003

Hi,

This is a followup on an email I sent out last week. After finding a web
site that specified a registry entry that helps in dealing with large
files under Windows:

	http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBL/tip5500/rh5584.htm

I went from being able to create files of 120GB to 755 GB, after setting
the PagedPoolMumble setting to 30%. I then set it down to 20% and got a
bit higher, like about 960GB, and then to 10% and got to 1.569TB.

I have now set it down to 5% in a quest to go higher. All of these were
performed on a machine with 512MB of memory and a GigE interface against
Samba 3.0.0 (something).

This is proving frustrating in the extreme. That is, that I have to do so
much work on Windows to create large files.

Regards
-----