systems without pread?

James Peach jpeach at sgi.com
Tue Dec 16 02:19:48 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I have been testing a patch which adds pread/pwrite oerations to the Samba
VFS layer and makes exclusive use of them in the file I/O path. The current
version emulates p{read,write} using lseek/lseek/{read,write}/lseek if they
are absent. So while it is a big performance win for the lucky platforms
_with_ those APIs, it does introduce suckage for those without.

So, are there any systems that Samba runs on without p{read,write}, and
should I propagate my #ifdef-age to restore the original behaviour for
these?

thx

James Peach | jpeach at sgi.com