3.0.1rc1-1 pam.d problem

Leandro Ariel Gomez Chavarria lgomez at cencosud.com.ar
Tue Dec 9 23:11:28 GMT 2003

Hi, I upgraded to 3.0.1rc1-1 in a test enviroment (from 3.0.0-1 in
RH9.0) and after that I wasn't able to autenticate users anymore.

I'm using security=domain and idmap backend = ldap

I found that the 3.0.1rc1 use the file /etc/pam.d/samba with these
entries:

auth            required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so nullok
account         required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session         required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password        required        /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so # shadow md5
nullok audit

and the 3.0.0 use these:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

I'm not an expert concerning pam.d but I just swap the files (using the
old one) and starts to work fine.

The funny thing was that getent passwd works fine, but when I tried to
access a resource from my Windows machine samba asked me for User and
passwd, so It took me a while find the problem.

regards, Leandro.-