How to debug nss_winbind

Svein Olav Bjerkeset svein.olav at bjerkeset.com
Tue Dec 9 08:20:03 GMT 2003

Hi, all

Some weeks ago I submitted a bug report (#691) on bugzilla regarding
a core dump from nss_winbind on Solaris 8 (sparc). As this report
has not got any attention, I realize that I will have to dig some
more myself to track down the bug.

I do have some time to do some debugging and bug hunting myself, however
I am not sure how to best debug nss_winbind, being a dynamic module
loaded by the C library (as this is run on Solaris, I do not think it
is possible to get debugging symbols for the C library).

I have made a short test program that reproduces the core dump, which
is attached to the #691 bug report, and have no problem generating a
backtrace from it. However, the SIGSEGV generating the core dump is
generated inside a C library function, possibly by geting some output
from a nss_winbind function that it was not expecting.

To summarize: is it at all possible to use gdb to debug nss_winbind
and set a breakpoint in it when it is loaded from the C library? The
any other way of debuging nss_winbind that I can think of, is to
insert syslog() calls in the code, but this gets tedious.

Thanks for any help
Svein Olav Bjerkeset