Cross-realm authentication

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Mon Dec 8 22:25:25 GMT 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 10:03:59AM +1300, Jason Haar wrote:
> >From this post, is it true that Samba doesn't support cross-domain
> Active Directory authentication?
>
> Would that mean if I run winbindd, then I can't "see" other AD domains
> via Samba?
>
> This is something I've reported before and would explain my symptoms of
> being a AD member, "getent passwd" showing my AD domain plus NT4 domains
> it has a trust with, but not being able to show other AD domains...
>
> I'm now running Samba-3.0.1rc1 and I still have this problem.

Ah, yes, I was bugging Jerry about this specific patch. Basically the problem
is it causes each smbd to open another connection to the ADS server.
We were brainstorming about moving this code into winbindd which
already multiplexes calls to the ADS server and get smbd to ask
winbindd. Still working on it.

Jeremy.