AC_CHECK_HEADERS and "present but cannot be compiled" warnings

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Fri Aug 29 00:35:53 GMT 2003

After switching Samba to autocon 2.53 from 2.13 we have started seeing
the "WARNING: foo.h: present but cannot be compiled" errors I'm sure
you have all fielded questions about in the past.

My question is there any chance of having a macro that retains the
old behaviour of AC_CHECK_HEADERS, i.e preprocessor check, not compile
check?  It seems wasteful to me that you now need to keep track of of
header file compile dependencies in two places: configure.ac and the
project source code.  The old CPP-only behaviour only requires this
information to be stored in the source.

Tim.