headers "present but cannot be compiled" for autoconf 2.53

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Thu Aug 28 23:59:54 GMT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 10:34:10AM +0100, David Lee wrote:

> > My favourite idea at the moment is to replace AC_CHECK_HEADERS with a
> > macro that reinstates the old semantics.
>
> Shudder... That may be OK right now, but it sounds substantially
> sub-optimal longer term.  It would appear to create an ongoing maintenance
> headache for us, having to maintain a parallel version (or more) of an
> autoconf macro for samba users (also having to allow for different samba
> developers using different autoconf versions).  It sounds worth avoiding
> if possible.

It should just be a cut and paste of 17 lines from acgeneral.m4 in Autoconf
2.13 into source/aclocal.m4 in Samba.

> And has the behaviour (i.e. technical results of the autoconf test)
> actually changed?  Or is it just producing extra warning messages (perhaps
> inappropriate, but nevertheless just warnings)?

It's just producing warnings but they generate bugs in bugzilla, and email
to the autoconf team so it would be nice to get rid of them.

> Rather, having spotted this problem that affects us (samba developers) on
> our island, and so might well affect many other projects on their islands,
> might it not be cleaner and more productive all around (not just for
> samba) to discuss the problem with the autoconf folk themselves?

Good idea.  I'll send something off to the autoconf maintainers about it.

Tim.