Mail Admin: SAMBA-VMS list is being flooded.

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Aug 26 00:44:17 GMT 2003

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:28:58 -0400
"John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw at qsl.net> wrote:

> Sorry for the off topic intrusion to this list.
>
> The samba-vms mailing list is being flooded with virus notifications
> from administrator at vt.edu.
>
> Apparently the virus is now spoofing the samba-vms e-mail address, and
> the misconfigured virus scanner at vt.edu is posting a notification
> for each one received.
>
> They are coming in one every few minutes.  I have e-mailed the vt.edu
> contact addresses, but there does not seem to be anyone home there all
> day since this started, and the frequency of the postings seems to be
> increasing.
>
> Can someone put a block on the administrator at vt.edu from making more
> postings?  At least until this stupid worm dies down.

Hi John,

This block is now in place.  Let me know if trouble persists.

For urgent issues like this it is better to write directly to
postmaster at samba.org -- I for one read that more frequently than s-t.

--
Martin

GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
		-- The GNU Manifesto