Unix passdb?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Wed Aug 20 08:09:39 GMT 2003

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 11:01:19AM +0300, Tom Alsberg wrote about 'Re: Unix passdb?':
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 09:51:26AM +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > pdb_unixsam has been removed when idmap was added, I think. IIRC the
> > reason it was removed was because the idmap system of Andrew and Simo
> > provided a better solution for such accounts
> Isn't idmap a system for mapping access, so requests to the server as
> one account will actually be processed as if it was for another
> account?
Idmap is about mapping uid's/gid's to sid's and vice versa.

> What do you mean by 'such accounts'?  I am speaking of normal - most
> basic kind of - accounts - those are accounts which really exist on
> the system, not created especially for Samba...
the users in the pdb_unix database where users with no NT/LM or other
Windows-specific information stored. Those users could not log in
using Windows.

Jelmer
--
Jelmer Vernooij                                              <jelmer at samba.org>