migrate NT4 -> Samba 3 + LDAP

PHELPS, SCOTT SPHELPS at ridgways.com
Wed Aug 20 15:30:44 GMT 2003

> Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> | On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Roland Gruber wrote:

> |>Hi all,
> |>
> |>I need to migrate a NT4 domain server to Samba 3 with OpenLDAP.
> |>Unfortunately "net rpc vampire" did not work, no accounts were
migrated.

> |>So I decided to migrate them manually with the data from "net rpc
> |>samdump". The dump shows odd and even user RIDs. Is it possible to
put
> |>them directly in LDAP? They do not follow this calculation with rid
=
> |>uid * 2 + 1000.

Yes you can.  However I used pwdump2 to suck the RID/SID info from the
PDC.  I preferred to do it manually so I just added the RID to the LDAP
Object.  The UID and GIG can be whatever you want.

Note: (I use Samba 2.2.8a)

BTW.   Please let me know if you get everything migrated and "working"
successfully with Samba3.  I was able to seamlessly migrate from a
WinNT4 PDC to a Samba 2.2.8a PDC without (much of) a hitch.  :)

Thanks,

-- Scott P.