Samba errors in log file - Password expires login message in windows

Sharath R Bhat sharath at cadestech.com
Mon Aug 18 11:13:05 GMT 2003

Hi,
 I have configured a source install of "samba-2.2.7a" as a PDC server running on Red Hat Linux 7.3. All Windows clients (XP,2000,98) have been made members of this domain and work flawlessly. New installations of Windows (any OS) are able to join the domain too, but I keep getting the message " Your password expires today" "please change the password" on these new Windows installs when trying to login as any domain user: This message doesn't appear in old existing installs of WinXP/Win2000.

Any attempts to change the password by saying "yes" at the dialogue results in a Domain "xx" not found. But if I say cancel and then do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and "change password", it goes thru successfully.

 Why do these login messages keep coming on my new installs of Windows only. My log file for the particular machine in samba shows these entries:

"[2003/08/18 16:07:48, 0] lib/util_sec.c:assert_gid(111)
  Failed to set gid privileges to (0,99) now set to (0,-1) uid=(0,99)
[2003/08/18 16:07:48, 0] lib/util.c:smb_panic(1094)
  PANIC: failed to set gid"

Do any of you guys have any ideas? Do i have to re-compile samba again? anything buggy in the version which has started showing now after more than 8 months of usage ?

regards,

Sharath Rakesh Bhat,