Samba 3.0.0 RC1 compile errors {proto.h, _vfs_readonly_init}

satadru pramanik satadru at umich.edu
Sun Aug 17 15:47:31 GMT 2003

I've noticed two problems in my OS X compiles of RC1 (which weren't
problems in beta3):

First, a non-fatal error:
Compiling smbd/server.c [or any other .c file in samba]
In file included from
/Volumes/Data/Home/satadru/samba/samba-3.0.0rc1/source/include/includes.h:896,
                 from
/Volumes/Data/Home/satadru/samba/samba-3.0.0rc1/source/smbd/server.c:23:
include/proto.h:2107: warning: parameter names (without types) in
function declaration

The parameter names error does not appear when compiling beta3 or
previous versions.

Second, a fatal error.  When linking smbd, I get this message:

Linking bin/smbd
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _vsnprintf
lib/snprintf.o definition of _vsnprintf in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(vsnprintf.So) definition of _vsnprintf
ld: Undefined symbols:
_vfs_readonly_init
make[1]: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1
make: *** [build] Error 2

(I've always gotten the vsnprintf errors, so that's not the problem.  The vfs_readonly_init is a problem though.)

I'm using the same configure flags for beta1-rc1, so nothing in my build process has changed.

satadru