patch for fs/cifs/file.c and oops on cifs_close on 2.4

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Tue Aug 5 23:56:28 GMT 2003

I checked in a fix for the cifs vfs oops that you all reported in
cifs_close in 2.4.   Initial testing looks fine.   I will do additional
testing as part of the 0.8.7 (or 0.8.8) regression checks.   The fix is in
version 0.8.7 of the cifs vfs (which I also just merged from the most
current 2.6 kernel source on the project tree). Note that the fix was not
necessary for the 2.5/2.6 kernel version of the code due to changes in the
kernel design (the addition of the per-inode filesystem allocation
routine).   Let me know if you find additional problems.    I am also
working on a mechanism to autobuild and package the 2.4 cifs.o kernel
module, mount.cifs and the man page mount.cifs.8 (after I update the badly
out of date man page and check it into Samba cvs).   Version 0.8.7 also has
some caching improvements that are useful in addition to the bug fixes that
you all and others noted.

Thanks for finding this.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com