Samba and MS Shadow Copy

Ken Cross kcross at nssolutions.com
Tue Aug 5 17:27:09 GMT 2003

It's data about Shadow Copy volumes, so it could be any of them.  How 'bout
FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_DATA?

Attached is a capture of a Win XP client (10.0.0.189) getting Shadow Copy
data from a Windows 2003 Server (10.0.0.203).  Filter on SMB packets.  Look
at packets 399-402 and 431-440.

Restoring a file (or directory) isn't a special operation.  When your VFS
module converts the name sent from the client from:

 @GMT-2003.03.03-03.04.04/File.txt

to:

 /mnt/snap1234/File.txt

it acts just like a regular file operation.  Renaming the file is the key.
It's made easier by the fact that all Shadow Copies (snapshots) are
read-only.

Ken

Ken Cross

Network Storage Solutions