Samba and MS Shadow Copy

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at metzemix.de
Tue Aug 5 16:50:13 GMT 2003

At 13:22 04.08.2003 -0400, Ken Cross wrote:
>Samba-folk:
>
>Microsoft's Shadow Copy is their version of snapshots for NTFS.  It is
>standard in Windows Server 2003.  Windows Explorer can very conveniently
>view "Previous Versions" of files and/or directories.  (To add this feature
>to Explorer on XP or Win2k SP3 or higher, see
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e382358f-33c3-4de7-
>acd8-a33ac92d295e)
>
>Some file systems, including ours at Network Storage Solutions, have
>snapshot capability.  Adding this support in Samba involves the 3 steps
>described below.  (Much of this is extremely vendor-specific, so sample code
>wouldn't mean much on another file system.)

Ken,

would it be ok if I modify your patch a bit?

just make the names unique

inn your patch  is FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_DATA and the DEBUG()'s say
FSCTL_GET_SHADOW_VOLUME

the macros are SMB_VFS_GET_SHADOW_DATA and the function pointers are
->getshadowdata...

What name should we use here?
Does Microsoft have defined a FSCTL_* name for this call?(or does anyone
knows this name?)

and the ioctl call should only return NT_STATUS_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
when errno == ENOSYS...

otherwise it should return NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

metze