samba proceses - question

Javid Abdul-AJAVID1 abduljavid at motorola.com
Mon Aug 4 19:22:53 GMT 2003

Hi

I noticed mulitiple samba procceses when i run smbstatus. ( samba 2.2.8a on solaris , clients win2k )

pids  are different sometimes for the same uid ( with root pid being same), machine name is same again ( the client )

my understanding is, there should be one root process for smbd and then all user mappings are spawned process from the root, and irrespective how many shares a user is mapped from win2k clients, there should be one smbd process for each unix id.

In my case this is not what am observing. I notice multiple user ids ( smbstatus) for same pid, and some times diff pid for same uid.

Also i noticed lot of times some proceses are owned by 'root' while some by unix user id?

is this normal.

Thanks in advance for replies.