Problem with deleting files with long filenames from samba share

Rob Jackson robertj at linux4free.com
Fri Aug 1 20:32:24 GMT 2003

Problem is with del in windows with 8.3 or longer filenames and 25+ files in direcotry.

Mounted and mapped samba share to windowsXP.  Then through command line I issue a 'del *.*' within the directory that has 25 or more files.

Error messages are as follows:

About half of the files acutally get deleted.

I only get the problem with 8.3 or greater filenames.  7.3 and less, does not have this proplem.  Also, it seems to be isolated to del.  Copy and move still work.

Server Specs:

Redhat 8.0
Samba 2.2.5

Also get the same problem with 2.2.8.