custom VFS module

Stefan (metze) Metzmacher metze at metzemix.de
Fri Aug 1 05:11:58 GMT 2003

At 18:42 31.07.2003 +0000, jason rexilius wrote:
>Hello,
>  I am interested in interjecting a piece of logic into SMB file sharing
> activity and believe that a VFS module would be the right way to go (
> maybe? ).  If that is the case then I have two questions (forgive me if
> these are dumb, I have done some searching):
>
>1) Does there already exist a module that can exec a foreign executable
>upon reads, writes, creates, deletes of a file? (i.e. if i wanted to have
>a perl routine send an email everytime a user deleted a file, an example
>ignore the obvious performance issues).
>
>2) If not, and I needed to code my own, would I start with the "skel" module?
>
>  What I am actually trying to do is interject a simple versioning and
> locking function into writes and deletes that is compatible with the
> routines I have in a web based file manager I wrote.  The objective is
> simple filesharing with locking and versioning accessible via web or
> locally shared drives.
>
>  If this does not exist and I start coding it I would probably create a
> VFS module that could be configured to exec foreign objects so that
> others could use it.  Does this sound reasonable?
>
>  Thanks in advance for any help you coan offer.

sounds ok ask if you questions...
(maybe also on #samba-technical channel on irc.freenode.net)

This module would be able to use call cvs, right?

Have you thought about doing this all with subversion?

subversion has a WebDav interface and  provide a client lib.

so a vfs_subversion module would be very great, I had thought of writing
one but I have not enough time yet :-(
(a php_subversion extension would be cool also...:-)

metze