proposal for better compile time error checking

Claudia Moroder claudiamoroder at st.ulrich.suedtirol.net
Wed Apr 30 14:18:30 GMT 2003

Hello,

I think it would be a good idea if the developers would use c++ compiler
instread of gcc when compiing the samba sources. c++ does a better job finding
errors at compile time ( signed to unsigned assignment ecc. ) even instandard c
code.

The drawback is that small changes to the source are necessary:

- casting where pointers are returned and assigned to pointers of different type

- variables with the names "class", "template" and "new" must be changed.

- in 2-3 places #ifdefs are necessary

I would like to get feedback to my proposal so I know if I should begin to
create patches to adapt the code.

Bye
Andreas