LMHOSTS as static WINS entry repository?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Apr 29 19:46:21 GMT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:02:57PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:45:21AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> > I would rather see a "wins preload file = <string>" in smb,conf that
> > points to an lmhosts formatted file to be used as static entries in
> > wins.tdb.  Keeping lmhosts and the static entries is better and less
> > confusing I think.
>
> Attached is an attempt to do that. This does not really cope well with
> group names, although I have no idea how these would be stored in a
> NT-lmhosts file.

Group names are typically handled incorrectly (per RFC) by Microsoft's
WINS.  Ours copies theirs.  Basically, except for special names (eg., the
1C domain controller name) group names are given an IP address of
255.255.255.255.

I assume that we could handle the 1C names by supporting the #SG and #DOM
keywords.  (#SG means "Special Group" and indicates that the name is a
group name with multiple IPs assigned.)

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org