LMHOSTS as static WINS entry repository?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Tue Apr 29 16:35:22 GMT 2003

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:45:21AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Herb Lewis wrote:
>
> > Maybe we could add some of the directive support from the MS lmhosts
> > file to ours. Only load entries flagged #PRE or #DOM into WINS
>
> I would rather see a "wins preload file = <string>" in smb,conf that
> points to an lmhosts formatted file to be used as static entries in
> wins.tdb.  Keeping lmhosts and the static entries is better and less
> confusing I think.

I've been wildly busy, and have not participated in this conversation.
My book is moving into production, I'm digging out from the time away from
home and office, and my in-laws are visiting.  Seems you just put down one
elephant and you get handed two more.

Anywhich...

First question I have is this:
Should our LMHosts do exactly the same job as Microsoft's LMHosts or
should we allow it to be different?  We're currently different, but that
causes trouble for some users.

>From my reading it seems that the MS LMHosts is a kitchen-junk-drawer.
It can be used in a variety of ways.  For example, you can use it to
identify DMBs (both the same workgroup and foreign workgroups) for browse
list syncing.  We *do not* have the same feature, to my knowledge.  We
have similar features--eg., we can announce to foreign DMBs and Enhanced
Browsing to discover foreign DMBs--but nothing to specifically/statically
identify foreign DMBs so that we can query them.  (Please correct me if'n
I'm wrong.)

I am not sure, however, whether the MS LMHosts file is used to pre-load
WINS.  Some documentation I've seen suggests that this is optional (and
must be enabled via a configuration check-box).  In general, the
documentation suggests that the LMHosts file was designed for client-side
use.

All that in mind, I like Jerry's suggestion.  The end user can point the
"wins preload file" to the Samba LMHosts file, just to simplify things.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org