Solaris 8, samba 2.2.8a, high smbd CPU

M.Maclaren at bath.ac.uk M.Maclaren at bath.ac.uk
Mon Apr 28 07:11:36 GMT 2003

>> In these cases, smbd logging shows repeated api_DosPrintQGetInfo: uLevel=2
>> client calls - as if the client is not getting an answer it appreciates.
>>   - in the cases I've investigated, the queues have been empty,
>>     and it isn't always the same queue.
>>
>>   use client driver = yes
>>   disable spoolss = yes
>>   printing = sysv
>>   printcap name = /opt/packages/samba/lib/smb.printcap
>>   load printers = yes
>>   lpq cache time = 60
>
>Yes, this is because you are disabling spoolss, so the
>clients loop requesting printing status.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but shouldn't clients default
to lanman style printing and work without the above looping?

One case exhibiting the problem that I looked at last week
was a Windows98 client.

We run a set of other samba 2.0.x servers for specific Windows98
clients and have not observed this problem there.

Martin