[Samba] disabling version number

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Apr 26 15:37:22 GMT 2003

Florian Effenberger wrote:

> Why not just add an option to the config file, so everyone can decide by
> himself? :)

Here's my situation...

I work at a large University.  We have on the order of 45K nodes.  I am not
responsible for the management of all of the nodes on campus (praise the
omnipotent bananafish) but I am responsible for asisting the Security Team
and one of their jobs is to scan for systems that are not properly patched.
I, and they, would dearly love to have a sure-fire way to figure out which
versions of Samba people on campus are running.  Something that operates at
the NBT layer and is, therefore, not subject to SMB authentication would be
optimal.

Chris -)-----

--
"Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem" ISBN: 0-13-047116-X
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org