IDMAP LDAP Backend for 3.0 release

Anthony Liguori aliguor at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 24 15:57:40 GMT 2003

I wanted to start a discussion re: how/if an IDMAP LDAP backend should go
into 3.0.

Having two seperate backend logics between winbind and the new idmap code
seems like a bad idea.  If the new idmap code is going to make it into
3.0, I could port the ldap backend to the idmap code.

If not, I think it would be a good idea at least to use the same
parameters that idmap is going to use to avoid introducing more unneeded
parameters.

I agree that an LDAP IDMAP backend isn't the best long term solution
(particularily if untrusted clients are to be using winbind) but for the
senario where only servers or trusted clients are interested in ID
mapping, it seems to be a solution to the problem.

What's the general consensis?

Anthony Liguori
Linux/Active Directory Interoperability
Linux Technology Center (LTC) - IBM Austin
E-mail: aliguor at us.ibm.com
Phone: (512) 838-1208
Tie Line: 678-1208