CVS update: samba/source/param

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 24 07:27:48 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 14:02, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On 24 Apr 2003, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > On principal that sounds right - but do you really want a profile path
> > of:
> >
> > \\_SMBSERVER\profile\abartlet
> >
> > (That's post alpha-strcpy munging, btw).  I figured I didn't want that,
> > so hence the change :-)
>
> Right but I wouldn't expect to see this actually happen.  The client
> has to located the DC using NetBIOS so the profile path has to
> have a netbios name as well.  Are you actually seeing this for the logon
> path ?  It just seems like you are mixing the intent of the %L
> variable.

Actually, I did, but not in a particularly 'real world' situation.
However, I don't think we should ever allow it to happen.

> If this is a problem, I would argue that the logon path should be set to
> \\%I\profile\%U rather than break %L wrt to the actual netbios name.

Well, when we are not sent a netbios name (ie 445) Samba 2.2 uses it's
global_myname for the %L value.  I think this is reasonable - and that
ever converting %L to _SMBSERVER just doesn't make sense.

Also, the machine that connected to us is not always the client -
trusting domains will contact us via their PDC for this request.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net