entropy.log

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Apr 17 14:31:22 GMT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Justin D Davis wrote:

> Is there something special about entropy.log that I don't know about?  If
> so, there is a problem because, entropy can be a machine name, and it all
> goes into 1 log file.

Samba does not create a log called entropylog. I suspect this is happening
because you may have a Windows box by that name. Correct?

How log files get named is in your control. See the man page for smb.conf
with particular reference to the parameter 'log file =' for information on
how to split out logs on a per client machine basis.

> Disturbingly, whenever a windows machine queries my samba box to see what
> shares exist, (or smbclient for that matter) the request is logged as
> "entropy" for the machine name.

So what is specified in your smb.conf file for the 'log file =' option?

> This is a big mess, and it is making it possible for people to spoof as
> "entropy" machine name, and not be detected.

And your point is? Windows clients can have any name they like just so
long as at that time there is only one machine with that name. Welcome to
the SMB/CIFS protocol.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra