problem when logging on a vampired PDC

Guillaume LACHENAL glachenal at on-x.com
Fri Apr 11 07:08:53 GMT 2003

Hi !

attempting to secretly replace our NT PDC, we issue a 'net rpc vampire'
on a fresh samba server.

the problem is when we move a workstation (member of the domain of
course) from the subnet A (with NTPDC) to subnet B (with SambaPDC) and
try to loggin on the domain, it fails with :

" The system can't open a session on this domain because the computer's
system account in his principal domain is missing or the password is
incorrect " (translated from french)

Inspecting the ldap attributes of this computer object, we can see
something strange : all computer accounts (seems to) have "ntPassword"
set but not all have "lmPassword" (the computer we use has not)

Any help/idea welcome !

our env. :
  * samba-3.0alpha23
	compiled with --with-ldap --with-ldapsam --with-syslog
  * openldap-2.1.16
  * smbldap-tools-0.7 from IDEALX

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

  -Guillaume-

(I first post on samba at lists.samba.org, but I may be the wrong list or
my problem may have been badly described. Sorry
http://lists.samba.org/pipermail/samba/2003-April/094023.html )