Should samba become_root() before calling panic action?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Apr 8 18:58:34 GMT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:39:53PM -0400, MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) wrote:
> Might it be better to leave this to the panic script itself; ie
> require a 'su' to root in the panic script to ensure that it run as
> root to do the gdb backtrace???
> Not completely secure either, but putting responsibility into the *ux
> admin's hands might be safer than preempting that choice in our code...
> hope this helps,

How would you accomplish this?  The only ways I can think of doing this
(passwordless su; or encoding the root password in the panic action
script, which must be world-readable to be usable in this circumstance)
are far more dangerous, IMHO, than the hypothetical risk of an admin
deploying an insecure panic action script.

It would be possible to get the same result with an suid perl script, or
an suid binary executable, but either of those solutions seems rather
ugly to me.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek