hide files problem

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Apr 2 22:18:14 GMT 2003

Ok,
I guess I'm not getting you.
There are 3 parameters you can use:
hide files will allow you to specify a mask of filenames that you want
treated as 'hidden' files (hidden as in like the dos hidden attribute).
hide dot files will allow you to forget the mask, and just treat as 'hidden'
any file that starts with a "."  (which sounds like what you want for
.recycle)
veto files is a STRONGer method, whereby the files are excluded from any
response
to any smb request for a list of files from that share.  Which means that
not only are they
not visible, but not accessible.

The first two methods can be defeated by the user by setting the 'show
hidden files' box
in the windows explorer.
The third method canNOT be defeated by the user, but it also makes the
file/directory
unaccessible (in your case NOT desired).

Bottom line is, you can't DO what you want to do.  Not without modifying
each client to remove
it's ability to check the 'show hidden files' box for windows explorer.
Sorry,
Don